Friday, April 27, 2012

M-I-C-K-E-Y-M-O-U-S-E!

So I got my first cupcake job! I know, exciting right!

A girl at work saw a cupcake book I brought to show my co-worker. She started flipping though it and got a brilliant idea. "How much would you charge me to do Mickey Mouse cupcakes for (her daughter's) birthday?" Well, I had to think about that, but of course I jumped on this job. So, I started browsing the internet and found an idea.

 I started the cupcake making process two days ago and delivered them today. The process took two days, because i needed to make candy clay, which can be stored for up to four days at room temperature. What is candy clay, you ask? Well its simple; it's just candy melts and corn syrup.

Anyways after to let it sit for 3 hours, I strongly suggest taking it out of the bowl. If you don't, you'll have to reheat it like I did. After you get it firm and start working with it, it basically is like modeling chocolate.

Rolled out, it looks like this:

I made the bows for Minnie Mouse first, which I didn't take a picture of (wish I had). While making the bows, I baked the cupcakes in pink and red liners. I used a fondant roller (you can get that a Wal-Mart) to make straight edges, and basically just shaped the clay to look like a bow. Candy Clay is pretty easy to work with.

After the cupcakes were out of the oven, I let them cool by hitting the gym. That way, I wasn't at home thinking about getting icing on them too soon.

When I got home, I started making the icing. I used regular buttercream icing. You can get the recipe off Wilton.com . I separated it into three bowls, on small and two large. The I colored the large bowls of icing red and pink. 

The "white" icing will be more off-white unless you omit the butter. I chose not too.

I then used a 1M tip to ice the cupcakes, giving the a delicate swirl. I used a small round tip to pipe polka dots and suspender buttons. 

I chose cookies for the ears. Lesson learned: if using cookies, wait to the last minute to add them to the cupcake. They tend to get soft and break.

All in all, I think they turned out pretty well. The girl I made them for did too :)

Check 'em out :

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments are very appreciated. Thank you so much for taking the time to do so! :) Unfortunately, I can no longer allow Anonymous commenters due to the amount of spam I have been receiving.