Monday, July 9, 2012

Giant Cupcake Smash Cake

So, I've been putting this one off, because I really don't have much to say about it. However, I feel the need to share.

I made this giant cupcake for a little girl's 1st Birthday. This was her "smash" cake. The thing is, babies aren't really that hard to please. Just shove some icing in their face, and they will go for it. If you're lucky, they will actually eat the cake too.


This cake was Minnie Mouse themed, as you can see. I've done Minnie Mouse before, so that was no problem. The problem was trying to decide how I was going to do the bottom of the cupcake.

You know, the part that usually has a liner on it.

Yeah, that was a challenge. So I started Googling. Google is my best friend.

I found a few pictures of a chocolate shell. This is a great idea!


Here's what you do:


  • Melt a bag of dark chocolate candy melts (or any color you want).
  • Pour half the melted candies into your cupcake pan.
  • Use a rubber spatula to spread the candies up the sides of the pan. You need an even spread.
  • Place the pan in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes until hard.
  • Pour the rest of the candies into the pan. Smooth with the spatula again.
  • Cool the pan again until hard. This shouldn't take as long as it did the first time.
  • Flip pan onto wax paper. The shell should release.
Remember: Make sure the top and sides are thick, or it will not release from the pan.

Don't worry if it doesn't come out correctly the first time. I had to try it twice.


When you bake the cake, it will be slightly too large for the shell. Simply place the bottom half of the cake into the shell, then slice the extra off. Now you are ready to place the top half and frost.


Chocolate Candy shells are perfect for the giant cupcake. It's super easy too.

Good Luck!

Print Friendly and PDF

8 comments :

  1. You are so smart!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks this is just what i was looking for!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm glad I could help. You're welcome :)

      Delete
  3. I just got that giant baking tin. Thanks for the idea of a chocolate shell. I can hardly believe it just released out of the tin so easily. Really excited to try it out myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more chocolate you slap on it the better. As you can see in my pictures, the top is a little frayed, but over all it worked very well. Good Luck!

      Delete
  4. This is exactly what I was looking for!!!!! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is exactly what I was looking for!!!!! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very appreciated. Thank you so much for taking the time to do so! :) Unfortunately, I can no longer allow Anonymous commenters due to the amount of spam I have been receiving.