Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Bonfire Bars

So, I know it's still pretty hot outside, but there is something about August and back to school that makes me think of fall. I mean, I'm totally a summer kind of girl, but hoodies, football, and that nip in the air. Yeah, that's some great stuff. Another thing I love about fall - bonfires. Growing up, my cousin used to host bonfires all the time. She had a barn, so we would hang out in there when we weren't by the fire. She'd host them for back to school, halloween, and even Thanksgiving break. They were always so much fun. We would roast hotdogs and of course smores, but we always had another treat too.


 Bonfire Bars via @cupcake_n_bake #autumn #bonfires #campouts
These bars were the best treat. I mean hotdogs are sustenance and fun. Smores are fun too, but they are sort of messy. These, were just different and tasty. 

 Bonfire Bars via @cupcake_n_bake #bonfires #campouts #autumn

So where did the name Bonfire Bars come from? Well, I mean, what else were we supposed to call them. We literally only had them at bonfires. And really, these bars are just a mishmash of stuff, so you can't call them something like, uh... I dunno, Chocolate Peanut Butter Graham Bars. I mean, I guess you could, but Bonfire Bars is a much simpler name. Ok, I'll stop rambling about that now. ;)

 Bonfire Bars via @cupcake_n_bake #campouts #bonfires #autumn

Hubby actually had never had these before. Good news - he thought they were great! He actually said, "Graham cracker crust may be the best idea ever". Then about ten seconds later, he decided that Oreo crust was the best. I guess I'm gonna have to make some sort of bars using Oreos next. (That's totally going into the idea file!)

 Bonfire Bars via @cupcake_n_bake #campouts #bonfires #autumn

You know, I think these would make a great lunchtime snack for school aged kids. I'm pretty sure all their friends would be jealous. Hmm...in that case, maybe you should leave them for an after-school snack instead.

 Bonfire Bars via @cupcake_n_bake #campouts #bonfires #autumn

Bonfires, lunch snacks, after-school snacks, sleepover snacks... whatever you have the for, I promise you won't regret it. You'll be asked to make these over and over again. And, they are super easy, too, so it won't be a chore! 

Tell me what you think. Will you try them?

 photo signature.jpg

Bonfire Bars

by cupcake-n-bake
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: bake dessert chocolate peanut butter bar
Ingredients (16 bars)
  • 2 cups of graham cracker crumbs
  • 1 stick and 2 tbsp butter (melted)
  • 1 cup of milk chocolate chips
  • 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup of peanut butter chips
  • 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
Instructions
Preheat oven to 350
Mix together graham cracker crumbs and butter until crumbs are moistened.
Press crumbs to the bottom of a 13x9 inch baking pan.
Pour sweetened condensed milk over the crust. Cover completely and evenly.
Pour all 3 cups of chips (peanut butter, milk, and semi-sweet) over the sweetened condensed milk. Use a spatula to lightly press the chips into the milk and spread evenly.
Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until edges are light brown. Don't let the top get too brown, or the crust will burn.
Refrigerate until cold, then slice into bars. Store uneaten bars in the refrigerator.
Powered by Recipage
Print Friendly and PDF

17 comments :

  1. O M G !!!
    Renea - these look soooooooooooooooooooo GOOD

    I can imagine the heavenly taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw these on google and had to come visit - YUM! These just look incredible! Your photos rock, the name is super cool - I'm totally your newest FAN! :)
    Ang, Juggling Act Mama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I'm so glad you like them! Thanks for stopping by. Glad to have you :)

      Delete
  3. Renea,
    These look so yummy and your pictures look good enough to eat. Wow, great recipe. Pinned! Come and bring them to Tuesday Trivia.
    Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look awesome and ooey gooey - pinning for later!

    Sam
    The Kitchen is My Dance Floor
    http://cooksandcreates.blogspot.com/

    (found you on Monday Funday linky)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Visiting from Marvelous Mondays! These look and sound like something I make called Hello Dollys. They are so good. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! These look sinful and I'm so happy that you shared at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look super delicious! Found you via the link up. Have a great weekend!
    http://www.captivatingcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic little treat! I love it! Thanks for sharing at Marvelous Mondays! Pinned. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am definitely trying these. I tried to share on facebook but it gave me the 404 not found error.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look totally amazing. Can't wait to try them. Being so close to Christmas, I might exchange the PB chips and use Mint chocolate chips.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have this exact recipe, but, for some reason, the recipe was called Elephant Bars. These are delish and also make a great Hostess gift! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We grew up calling them 7 layer bars. We added Coconut to ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also known as Magic Cookie Bars too.. not new or original but a classic !!

      Delete
  13. These look scrumptious! They are different than Hello Dollies, however. Hello Dollies don’t have peanut butter chips, and they have coconut. I’m SO going to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are very similar to Eagle Brand Magic Cookie Bars. Theirs use semi-sweet chocolate chips, coconut and nuts. I use semi-sweet chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. I can't believe that I haven't tried peanut butter chips. I'll be using your recipe next time I want something rich and yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very appreciated. Thank you so much for taking the time to do so! :) Unfortunately, I can no longer allow Anonymous commenters due to the amount of spam I have been receiving.